Sioux Falls, SD



Sioux Falls in Soux Falls.

Worth a stop.  I wish I had walked across to the other side of the falls.  I stayed on the "parking lot side" - probably because Zupe was uninterested in extending his time here.  (This should not serve as a caution about the intrinsic "lack of interestingness" in the falls.  Zupe didn't want to spend time viewing Yellowstone.  Couldn't get him to see a paint pot potting for all the tea in China.  I think it has to do with being 15.)  From the perspective I had, the view of the fall always included civilization - a train trestle, old buildings, skyscrapers, light poles... The other side would have had a background of trees, park, lots of people.  (Hmmmm.  Better?)   If the falls were more remote and more part of nature, I believe they would be more impressive.  They are not huge.  There is no dramatic drop of water - but a series of steps against the same pink quartzite we saw at Pipestone. If you are strapped for time on your trip across Minnesota-South Dakota - I'd recommend Pipestone over Sioux Falls.  There is a fall there, too, albeit much more limited.   (below)


OK. So I guess my truth is that I really liked Pipestone National Monument.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings on Lost Mothers

Confession