Monday - Summer on Harrison


Once upon a time - like when I was still in high school - my father built a section of fence.  The tall boardy kind of fence.  About 6 feet high.  It extended east from the edge of the garage and ran parallel to the fence row.  I do not know WHY he built this fence.  One day I'll dig through old photos and show you what it looked like.  If I'm successful, I'll add it to this post, as well.  

But that isn't the story.  That fence is long gone.

Growing against that fence was a plant that was brought over from my grandparents' farm.  We called it Loevy's Lace Vine.  (I have NO IDEA how to spell Loevy.  The name is pronounced Low - vee.  If I spell it Lovy, you will likely think it is Love- ee.  A search of Google is no help.  There are people with the surname Loevy, however.)  It grew immense and bloomed like crazy in late summer and early fall.  My best guess was that it was a  "Sweet Autumn Clematis" .

The fence and the vine have been gone for decades.  

Yet, this August, for the first time ever, it is blooming in the fence row.  In all honesty, it is not the fence that lines our property but the Eastern neighbor.  How it got there, I have no idea.  I've never seen the neighbor plant anything and as you'll see in the photo, it more resembles an unruly volunteer.  I'd like to think it is a gift from my mother or my grandmother.... or Loevy.  Thank you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings on Lost Mothers

Confession