Tuesday with some specificity: Indiana Dunes National Park

 


Indiana Sand Dunes National Park.  This.  This was my favorite element.  Though, additionally, the gift shop had some pictures I appreciated.  But being in the wilds of Indiana - not for me.  Three words.  Hot.  Humid.  Mosquitoes.  And all the latter preferred me far and above my companions. 

I had been to the Sand Dunes once before in 1990.  A long, long time ago.  On the day before my crappy new (used) car broke down for the third time in as many weeks needing repair in St. Louis and then have its muffler crap out before we got back to Ohio.  Even with all that garbage, I remember that the dunes were dismal.  Kevin, however, has set a goal to visit all the national parks.

Indiana Dunes: 

1.  One dune that seems to be creeping across a parking lot and devouring trees.  It does have a taste for people having sampled an 8-year-old boy- so guests must stay behind the rope on the opposite side of the lot.  (Note- The boy was recovered but since then visitors are forbidden to walk the dune(s).  I'm guessing there is more than one dune, but I only saw one.  It is called the Indiana Dunes not the Indiana Dune, after all.)

2.  Swamps.  Breeding ground of mosquitoes mentioned above.

3.  Five Houses from the 1933 Chicago World Fair.  These are Homes of Tomorrow.  I think four are now housing people.  One is obviously needing restoration.  They are very cool - especially the Florida House (above) that I would DEFINITELY move into tomorrow... it being a house of tomorrow.  You can only gaze at them from the road.  (There is period of time each year (day? weekend?) when you can buy a ticket to see inside.  That day was not July 15, 2026.)

4. Gift Shop.  I considered buying some bird art, but did not.  I did, however, get my first ever Junior Ranger Badge.  Funny, considering how much I did not appreciate the park...

Your milage may vary...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musings on Lost Mothers

Confession